Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Revelations from RT 2011


I’m still in the recovery phase of my 2011 Romantic Times Booklovers Convention experience. It looks a little like this:

That’s me on the left, Kinsey Holley on the right. Yes, we shared a double bed, something I can’t even do with my husband without one of us ending up on the floor.

I was amazed that even though the 7 Naughties at the conference had only “met” online, we had such a great time together. But that wasn’t the only surprise. So…

Revelation 1. It is possible for four romance writers to share a tiny room with two double beds and 5,321 beauty products without killing each other. It was like an ongoing slumber party. And when you stumble into the room in your fairy wings at 3 in the morning, you’re just happy there’s a pillow with your name on it.

Revelation 2. Romance readers (and writers) are THE BEST people in the world. The most fun, the most kind, the friendliest, the smartest, the best-looking when wearing tutus and fake vampire fang-marks, and so forth. I could go on, but it would sound like I’m sucking up.

Revelation 3. I have no self-control when it comes to free books or books signed by the author. Don’t ask how many boxes of books I mailed home. Sure, I read and love eBooks, but I’m still like a crack addict in the presence of a physical, autographed book.

Revelation 4. Sleep-deprivation is a cheap high and saves money on drinks. Not that I avoided drinks – Chocolate Martini, anyone? Cowboy Cocksucker? Tie Me Up and Fuck Me Hard? Or am I making that one up?

Revelation 5. If you ever get a chance to hang out with Lorelei James, Eden Bradley, Mari Carr, Jayne Rylon, RG Alexander, Vivian Arend, KB Alan, or any author from Australia, DO IT!! The Naughty Nine, too, of course. And many others my sleep-deprived brain can’t remember at the moment.

Revelation 6. A lot more goes into the cover designs than I knew. I met two of my cover artists, Tuesday Dube and KaNaXa, and suffice it to say, I’m in love with them both. I had no idea KaNaXa spent 30 hours cleaning up the background, pixel by pixel, for the cover of Doll.

Revelation 7. Everyone’s talking about self-publishing, but it sounds like a lot of work. I might be too lazy for that.

Revelation 8. The one downside: being around that much writing talent is intimidating. I didn’t write a word while I was there, but rumor has it Desiree Holt wrote 80,000 words in one night. That’s a whole book! Just kill me now.

Revelation 9. There’s no thrill in the world like a reader telling you they loved your book.

Revelation 10. It’s not too early to start planning for RT 2102 in Chicago. Come on, Naughty Nine, who’s in? Anyone else?

And a big thanks to Kate and Sydney who did such a wonderful job holding down the fort during the conference. We missed you terribly and hope you can make it to Chicago!

9 comments:

Erin Nicholas said...

Love it! Grinning the whole time I read your post. Aww... I miss you guys. And make a note: the next time I say I don't want to go down to the bar, just say Cowboy Cocksucker and I'm there.
Erin

PG Forte said...

And I'll go with you Erin just to watch Kinsey's face when you order that drink. lol!

Skylar Kade said...

Hell yeah, I'm in for RT 2012. Started filling my change jar yesterday ;)

And I'm with you on the omg-free-print-books-gimme! I've been really good about only buying Kindle books, but RT kinda ruined that :P

Oh well...guess that means I'll be giving away tons of print books through the blog!

Meg Benjamin said...

It should be noted, however, that Mrs. Juniper is still on vacation while the rest of us have returned to the Real World, also known as sucksville.

flchen1 said...

That was a fun post, Juniper! Glad you all had a blast! Thanks for sharing a few snippets with us stay-at-homers :)

PG Forte said...

Skylar--not me, I'm spoiled for print and will be sending you a boxload of books to add to your stash.

Juniper Bell said...

Fedora, you have to come next year!! Are you anywhere near Chicago?

Kelly Jamieson said...

OMG I forgot about the Cowboy Cocksuckers!! Erin, if only I knew that's what it would take to get you to the bar!

flchen1 said...

Juniper, sadly I'm even farther from Chicago than I was from LA... *sigh* I need for my kids to all get a little older, too... Maybe in a few more years :)