Monday, December 21, 2009

Tis The Season...

Economic times have hit everyone pretty hard this year. I can't donate as much as I'd like to my normal charities (ASPCA for starters, if you're interested), but I've decided there is something I can give -- blood. And that's actually what I'm doing today. When it comes to needles, I'm kind of a big baby, but I've given blood a few times, and each has decreased that fear. So when I go in today, I won't be thinking about being stuck with needles, but about giving to someone who REALLY needs more than I do.

It has made me think, though. I may not have all the money I expected to have out of college, I may not have the job I wanted out of grad school, and I may not have the house I always dreamed of... but that blood is going to someone who is in more dire straights than I. Someone whose life could depend on having a that very bag of blood. Many people think I'm crazy to donate blood, especially with a fear of needles, but its a small thing I can do. Not to mention, once the lightheaded feeling fades, its replaced with the warm fuzzies of doing something good. Donating blood is not something everyone can do; many are made ineligible by having a recent cold, or traveling Europe during certain years. But I'm not one of those people. I can, and I will.


Not to mention we get free juice and cookies. Hurray for regressing to kindergarten!

~Skylar~

7 comments:

Meg Benjamin said...

Way to go, Skylar! What a great holiday gift.

booklover0226 said...

I donated blood at work on Friday.

Unfortunately, I don't have money to make my usual donations but I do have the blood and I felt like I was helping someone.

And like you said... I got free snacks and a t-shirt!

Thanks!

Erin Nicholas said...

Skylar, this is what the season is all about! Giving what you can, for the right reason. Things don't need a "price tag" to be worth a lot!
Erin

Sherry said...

I have tried to give blood a couple of times and couldn't so I haven't tried for a while reading this makes me think I need to try again.

Kinsey Holley said...

I can't give blood because meds I've had to take since Diva was born - but Hubby is very regular about it and Diva can't wait to be old enough to do it.

When Diva was born and I had all the Problems, I ended up getting multiple blood transfusions - more than five pints IIRC. So I think blood donors rock.

PG Forte said...

Wow, what a great thing to do, Skylar. Go, you! And you, too, booklover! ;)

I'm like you, Sherry, never been able to for one reason or another. But I so admire the people who make it a regular thing they do. Awesome.

kelly said...

Grr my comment from yesterday is not here. Good for you Skylar. I'm a 50 time donor but you have reminded me that this is a great time of year to donate! Thanks for that.