Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Reading Rut


Lately, I've found myself in a bit of a rut reading-wise.

I've got one paperback started, and one e-book, but I can actually walk away from them for days at a time without twitching. (I'm typically the kind of reader who, when she starts a book, is almost always glued to the page/screen until the last word is read. It's hell on my sleep schedule, but extremely satisfying story-wise.) There's nothing wrong with the books - they're both well written, by authors I enjoy, and I have no real issue with either book. [Note: neither of these books are by NNN members, so you guys can stop wondering. LOL]

But I can't seem to finish them.

It's not that I'm not reading, because I am. But right now it's more about the short stories, essays, articles, stuff I can find online and finish in one sitting - before being interrupted by the kids, before work drags me away, before life in general gets in the way.

It may be just a function of how busy life is right now - soccer season, for one, plus all the other activities my kids find themselves enjoying. The day job is hopping, and the writing requires attention, too.

But I miss sinking into a book and letting it take me away from all that.

So, any suggestions on breaking out of that rut? Any books you think will grab me by the throat and not let go? Any and all help greatly appreciated!

7 comments:

Skylar Kade said...

I just finished Suzanne Brockmann's "Infamous," and it has won a spot on my keeper shelf. I cannot stop thinking about this book! Innovative, heart-wrenching, and stylistically fascinating--I couldn't put it down.

I was in a reading rut over the summer, and broke it by reading non-romance books. A little fantasy (George RR Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice series) and I was ready to return. Since then, I've had a much easier time delving into all my romance TBRs.

Meg Benjamin said...

I've recommended it before, but I'll do it again--Sarah Smith's The Vanished Child. I read that in a couple of days, virtually nonstop. And then, of course, there's almost anything by Loretta Chase, but particularly Lord of Scoundrels.

Kate Davies said...

Skylar - I think Infamous was the last book I read straight through before the reading rut hit! Loved it.

And thanks to you and Meg for the other recommendations. I'll be hitting the bookstore soon!

Debra St. John said...

Kate,

I'm with you on this. I'm almost near the end of a book, and it seems like it's taken me forever to read it. I just haven't had the time. Reading in little spurts here and there, while still enjoyable, doesn't have the same feel as being able to indulge and lose myself for hours at at time.

Erin Nicholas said...

First, glad to see you found your blog post *g*

I go out-of-genre when this happens to me. Meaning, I usually read contemporary so when I get in a rut, I read something different-- paranormal, historical, something new.

And I'm always happy I did! :)
Erin

kelly said...

I have recently discovered Laura Kinsale - I don't read as many historicals as I do contemps, so although she is so popular I'd never read her books. As others said, reading outside your usual genre might do the trick.

Maia Strong said...

I've been on a YA kick for most of the past year, and lately they've all been books that I just had to finish. Most recently, Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan and Will Grayson,Will Grayson by Levithan and John Green. I also loved I, Coriander by Sally Gardner, and just started The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo last night. I think one of the things I'm digging about YA lately is that it's quality lit that reads quickly. I'm crazy-busy, so knowing that I have a whole novel to read can be overwhelming, but when it's something that reads quickly, it's not so daunting. (All of which sounds totally lame coming from someone who used to pick up huge novels on a regular basis, and read them without hesitation. :-P )