Friday, January 20, 2012

Whether the Weather

Oh, the weather outside is frightful...

We're on day four of the snowpocalypse here in the northwest. Snow is blanketing much of the region, from a few inches (where I am) up to a foot and a half or more (where the rest of my family is). This is one of those times where working 90 miles away from home is a real pain.

On the other hand, I'm safely ensconced on the couch, under a cozy blanket, watching the snow continue to fall. There are salted-caramel brownie bites on the kitchen counter, and my office is closed so I don't even have to burn a vacation day to stay home out of the cold.

At home, they've lost power twice in two days, it's now raining to beat the band (and bringing with it major fears of flooding, which happens all too frequently in our neck of the woods), the kids can't go outside to play so they're getting hit with cabin fever, and we're looking at school not getting out until late June now.

It's true, what Erin Nicholas told me the other night - we're wusses about weather out here. A couple of measly inches, and the entire region shuts down. But I suppose that's a better alternative than having people who see snow once or twice a year, at most, sliding around on slick roads in out-of-control vehicles. And I do love the snow, as long as it doesn't overstay its welcome.

Take now, for instance. I drove up here a day early, between snow flurries, so I wouldn't get trapped by the weather and be unable to get in to work. I have only a few vacation days since I just started the job, and I really didn't want to use them all up for this sort of situation. I had to cancel my usual trip home during the week due to treacherous road conditions. And now I'm looking at the calendar, hoping against hope that the rain starts soon or I'll be up here over the weekend as well.

I'm ready for our usual northwest rainy winter, thank you very much!

What's the weather like in your neck of the woods? Is it typical, or something unexpected this year?

3 comments:

Meg Benjamin said...

Right now Colorado has a snow drought, which is a bitch since we sort of depend on it both economically (Aspen, Vail, et al.) and for water in the spring and summer.

Katie O'Connor said...

Calgary, Alberta, Canada is freeeeking cold right now. Minus 30 celcius. Thank the powers that be that it doesn't stay cold long. Tomorrow we are expcecting plus 1. (For my US friends it freezes at 0 celcius)

kelly said...

Oh Katie, I'm not far from you, in Manitoba and yes it's FREEEEZING right now. I was so hoping this wasn't going to happen after the unbelievable mild December we had! We still don't have a lot of snow though.
Kate, hope you make it home this weekend safely to see the family!