Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Home is Where the Computer Is

At 5 am this morning, we’re landing in Anchorage after a blissful two and a half months in Hawaii including a wedding, tons of family and friends, lots of fruit tree planting and, ahem, very little writing. We’re going from 77 degrees to 7, warm sunshine to snowdrifts. Clearly, this is going to be a rough transition. Clearly, this calls for some emergency self-brainwashing. So here goes.


Ten Reasons not to Jump Off the Plane Before Landing in Alaska

  1. All the bugs in Alaska are still sleeping. After many close encounters with ants, cockroaches, centipedes, and other unidentified creatures, I’m ready for a break.
  2. Enough with the green and blue. Okay, lush jungle and blue skies are nice, but white has a lot to be said for it. Bring on the snow!
  3. Outerwear. It turns out that weddings are not a low-calorie occasion. Those parkas are going to come in handy hiding the extra pounds.
  4. Uh oh. There’s got to be more than three. Think, think.
  5. Seeing my writer friends again! I don’t know any writers in Hawaii (although I did get to meet the fabulous PG Forte!
  6. Jumping off planes is a very bad idea.
  7. Cold weather builds character. Yeah, I’ll keep telling myself that.
  8. Peace and quiet. Okay, this is a good one. Hawaii is a noisy place at night—coqui frogs, crickets, early morning guinea hens, the rooster next door. Alaska in the winter is absolutely still and quiet.
  9. Time off. This may sound strange, but we’ve been working nonstop since we got here—getting ready for the wedding, tending to our guests (many of whom stayed for a couple weeks), planting our wedding gift trees. When we get to Alaska, my days of digging up lava rocks and machete-ing cane grass will be over! Until next time.
  10. I CAN FINALLY GET BACK TO WRITING! My own desk, my brand new computer, and no distractions. And that’s really all the reason I need.

Yay! Alaska, here I come!

There, I feel better now. Sleep-deprived, but better.

2 comments:

Meg Benjamin said...

Ah, Juniper, you live in two beautiful places. I'd add the Alaska mountains, which are truly one of the wonders of the world, and the low humidity of winters in mountain areas. I love four or five months of absolutely no hair frizz. Welcome home!

PG Forte said...

The "no bugs" thing is nice, although I miss my iguanas. (It was iguanas in Belize, btw, not gekkos). And, yeah, I can well believe you miss hauling lava rocks around. But...isn't chopping wood just as labor intensive?

Sorry. I'll shut up now.

New computer! Oooh. Do tell!!