Monday, October 14, 2013

Brace yourself, America...

"Brace yourself, America, because the following two facts may cause a rift between our two great countries and even the space-time continuum itself: Canada has its very own Thanksgiving and it even falls on a different day than yours." http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/10/10/canada-us-thanksgiving-photos_n_4078730.html

Yes today is Thanksgiving. In Canada. Although my family celebrated with our big turkey dinner on Saturday, today is the holiday, and may I just say, I am thankful for a day off from the day job. :-)




Our Canadian Thanksgiving involves food - often a turkey and a pumpkin pie. I personally dislike pumpkin pie. I serve one because others expect it, but I usually have something else too.

We don't go shopping on Thanksgiving. But we do watch football  - the Thanksgiving Day Classic is an annual doubleheader held on Thanksgiving Day in the CFL.This year my team the Winnipeg Blue Bombers play against Montreal, and Toronto takes on Hamilton. Since my team has been doing so poorly (and that's a massive understatement as to the extent they suck) I'm not all that excited about it.

Fun aside, I think it's always important to stop and think about the things we're thankful for. So much of life is spent looking outside at what other people have, wanting more, wanting better. There's nothing wrong with ambition or a desire to better one's life, but when that's all you're focused on, it can lead to unhappiness and dissatisfaction. But when you see people less fortunate than you - people who have nothing, people who have experienced great tragedies and obstacles in their lives - it can help us appreciate what we have, even though we may complain.

I could complain about my husband never putting his laundry in the hamper, or my kids not letting me know their plans until after I've cooked dinner, or the day job that has its stresses, or the fact that we have to spend money on new shingles for our house. I could complain about my deadlines and writer's block.

But instead, I am grateful for a wonderful, loyal, loving husband who is also a good father; two healthy, intelligent children (well, adults) who have active social lives and don't steal cars and do drugs; a beautiful home to live in; enough money to buy the things I need and enough to give some to others who don't;  a day job that supports us and challenges me; and I'm so grateful to be able to write romantic stories and share them with other people, and so very, very grateful to all the people who buy my stories and enjoy them - thank you!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

What are you thankful for?








3 comments:

PG Forte said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Kelly! And you too, Syd!

I'm thankful that it's only four more days until Nashville--woohoo! And that I made good progress on my WIP this weekend. :)

kelly said...

Thanks PG! And yay! You go!

kelly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.