Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Guest Blogger Cerise DeLand - What’s age got to do with it?

Lately in romanticas, we’ve seen the increase in popularity of older women and younger men partner novels. We even see ‘cougars”, as older women who take younger lovers are called, portrayed on TV in Carmen Diaz skits on ‘Saturday Night Live’ and in a new comedy series with Courtney Cox. We also see it in the striking popularity of a new multi-author series at Ellora’s Cave called The Cougar Challenge. (www.jasminejade.com)

So this must be a pervasive dynamic in the general population.

Right?

Well, I have no clue about the statistics.

But I do know that more and more women (and perhaps men) are reading these novels.

Now, I ask you, what is the reason for that?

Is it just a fantasy that a woman can still have hot sex with a younger dude when she’s over forty?

Or is it that older women are sub-consciously learning how to: a) be more aggressive when media tells them things are beginning to sag, or b) learn or re-learn how to please a younger more energetic lover?

Write to me!

This inquiring mind wants to know!

No, I have not written a cougar novel. YET. But will with the EC Cougar Challenge group!

Let me in on your secret fantasies. Do younger men turn you on?

If so, why?

Or why would you never, ever…

You get me!

And come to my blog, too, for tasty treats of my own books: http://cerisedeland.blogspot.com and soon to come, my website at www.cerisedeland.com

Ciao, bella!

11 comments:

Debra St. John said...

There is something about a younger man at times. I think part of it for me is I don't feel like I'm over forty, so those young guys in their twenties don't seem like they're out of my age-range!

Meg Benjamin said...

Hi Cerise, thanks for joining us. I gotta say, though, I'm with Demi Moore--I hate the word "cougar". Is there a similar word for guys who date younger women (of whom there are surely more)?

PG Forte said...

Sure I like younger men. What's not to like? *g* But would I ever actually develop romantic feelings toward someone young enough to be my son? I kind of doubt it.

Cerise DeLand said...

I agree that COUGAR is a bit of a wince for me.
But what to substitute? Cup Cake? Honey Buns?
I dunno...
And the concept of a man who is too too young make me go ewwww, so the answer is...NOT TOO YOUNG. As one of my author pals says, not into the next generation down. Which means what? 20 years younger. THAT is icky!

Dalton Diaz said...

It think it depends on what you want out of the characters. Is it going to be a relationship outside of the bedroom? Personally, I couldn't wrap my head around Kevin from Winters' Thaw until I made him 30. The heroine, Elizabeth, is 41.

Darah Lace said...

Great subject, Cerise. I'd absolutely be a cougar were I not married. And it wouldn't be for emotional gratification! ;)

kelly said...

Welcome to the Naughty Nine, Cerise! Great topic. I just wrote an older woman/younger man story (she's 37 to his 29) so I find this interesting. Like Debra, I don't feel over 40 (or... ahem...50)so why shouldn't I have a younger guy who attracts me? How young? Since I'm happily married
:-) it's hypothetical - but I'm going to have fun thinking about it!

Valerie Douglas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Valerie Douglas said...

Does anyone know that Carol Burnett married a man 20 years her junior, too?
In the course of my life I have been single more than I have been married, and at various ages of my life. I was lucky enough to meet a lot of different and wonderful men, including one 25 year old more mature and open to a relationship than many of the forty year olds. And he was a wonderful lovely bounce *grin*
What I can't understand is why we don't have a problem with an 50 year old George Clooney dating a 25 year old, but we do if the situation is reversed? Why is there an ick factor if the woman does it?
Frankly I didn't worry about anything sagging (I keep myself up)or being able to keep up (HE had to keep up with ME - women do reach their sexual peak later) and an older woman is far more willing to do some of the things younger women haven't yet experienced.
Do younger men turn me on? You bet! Our biggest problem is with the media-and our OWN-perception that we can't a) be attractive at 40/50/60 b) be sexual enough to please a younger lover c.) let go of our fears of the perceptions of others.
If I wasn't married I'd still be dating men who attracted and stimulated me whatever their age might be, and getting some lovely bouncing.

Adele Dubois said...

If I were a single woman I'd definitely be interested in dating somewhat younger men. It's a nice fantasy.

Best--Adele Dubois

Anonymous said...

good read, post more!