Monday, May 24, 2010

Creative Outlets


I've just taken up crochet. Yeah, I have no time for it or any other hobby, but its so fun. And relaxing! There's something incredibly satisfying about creating something out of nothing, and I think that's part of the appeal of writing. You start with a blank screen, and slowly it fills with words and sentences and paragraphs until there's a story that someone else can enjoy and get lost in. Its the same with yarn crafts. Stitch by stitch you build a larger project, and when its finished, you have something practical to use or to give as a present.
The other big benefit--to both writing and crochet--is the low cost. Especially in this economy, that is a huge bonus. For crochet, you can make a scarf for less than $5. Hello Christmas presents! And to top it off, I've always been told handmade presents are better than store-bought ones. True, a scarf doesn't necessarily compare to, say, a Kindle, but you get the idea.

How do you channel your creative urges? I'm always amazed at the art people create--please link to pictures if you have them!

Skylar

3 comments:

Debra St. John said...

I've heard crocheting/knitting is very relaxing. I'm going to need to try it one of these days.

Meg Benjamin said...

I knit in spurts--several inches in a week or so, and then it sits for a month. I've been working on a throw since last fall and will maybe finish it before next winter. Great for something to do while watching TV.

PG Forte said...

I used to sculpt, but I don't have any room for it now...actually, now that I think of it, I've been using the "no room" or "no time" excuse for a lot of creative endeavors lately. Or the "no money" one.

Hmm. I ought to do something about that.

Or maybe not. I think I'm procrastinating enough as it is!