Monday, August 22, 2011

Gearing Up Again


Yesterday, the kids and I spent a good chunk of the afternoon sorting through school supplies and checking items off their lists. It's amazing how much they need, from pencils to rulers to binders to notebook paper to kleenex. And with multiple requirements from multiple grade levels, the numbers add up.
This is actually the first year we've been this far ahead of the game, with two full weeks before school starts and most of the supplies already purchased. It helps that midkid is fascinated by couponing and has started scouring the ads for the best deals ("but we have to hit Staples this week, mom! They've got spiral notebooks for under a buck!").
Usually, though, I'm the sort who looks up in August like some sort of school-prep groundhog, blinking at the calendar and realizing I've got to run to the store TONIGHT and throw everything in the cart so they have something to bring to back-to-school night.
Despite the low-level chaos the beginning of school brings, it's also a welcome sight. I like the routine, the structure, and yes, the little extra writing time I don't have when the entire family is home for summer vacation.
I know a lot of districts are already back in school, and more are starting every day now. If you've got kids, are they back to the daily routine yet? Or do you have a few more weeks of summer left to enjoy? What's your favorite thing about this time of year?

4 comments:

PG Forte said...

There is something incredibly satisfying about buying new school supplies. Even when you don't need them. lol! Not sure why that is. That was always just about the only thing I liked about this time of year.

Other than that...I think I hated school even more when my kids were going than when I was a kid.

Maria D. said...

It's great that your midlekid is into couponing and has been keeping track of sales...school supplies can really add up! And it sounds as if they didnt' give you a hard time about the shopping either:)

kelly said...

I'm with PG!! School supply shopping was the only good part about back to school!

Juniper Bell said...

I just dropped my kid off for her first day of 2nd grade. I'll miss her, but omg, the writing time!!! LOL.