Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Guest Blogger Beverly Rae - Going Coupon Crazy


I’m not an extreme couponer and I don’t clean the shelves, but I do enjoy buying something for less. Especially when I can get the item for free. After all, who doesn’t like getting something for nothing? Add that to the joy I have when I give many of those free items to a charity and I want to go back to the store and do it again.
I have coupons for almost anything from toilet paper to dog food. My favorite coupons are the ones that offer discounts at my favorite restaurants. In fact, we’ve gotten so used to having coupons for dining out that my husband is aghast whenever I don’t have a coupon for a free dessert or appetizer.

My coupon hunting skills are increasing. Not only do I find coupons in the usual places such as newspaper inserts and online, I find myself checking magazines at the hair salon and the doctor’s office. Of course I would never rip out a coupon from a magazine without asking first, but I do ask. Most of the time, they laugh and hand me a pair of scissors. I haven’t resorted to dumpster diving and I hope I never do, but the thrill of finding that special coupon is exhilarating.

I think I’m going coupon crazy. But let’s see, shall we?

Do I have my husband run to the grocery store to pick up two double issues of the Sunday newspaper? Yes, and he’s glad to do it. (Especially when I find restaurant coupons in them!)

Do I spend every Sunday morning cutting out coupons from multiple inserts? The callus on my hand shows I do. Even hubby’s getting in on the act.

Do I have a large binder filled with coupons segregated by categories? Of course!

Do I use online coupon savings clubs to find even more deals? Yep, those are the social clubs for couponers.

Do I download a list of sale items and match them with my coupons before going shopping? Uh-huh.

Do the checkers at my grocery store know my name? You betcha. And I know their names, too.

Do I think I’m becoming a hoarder? Not really. But I do have a nice stockpile going in my basement.

Do I stand in the middle of the grocery aisle and study the sales, trying to determine which coupon gives me the biggest discount? Sure. Who doesn’t?

Do I get that special tingle whenever I hear the beep of a coupon as the checker swipes it across the scanner? Oooh, yeah, baby.

Do I hold my breath for the final total after store membership card discounts and all my coupons have been scanned? You know it! Try it. You’ll find out just how exciting it is to her the words, “You saved $$$ today”.

Am I coupon crazy? Maybe.

But that’s the kind of crazy I like.

What about you? Are you coupon crazy?


Links: www.beverlyrae.com (website)

2 comments:

kelly said...

Welcome to the Naughty Nine blog, Beverly! I so admire your couponing skills. I'm sure the feeling is like when you hit a 50% off the last reduced price at a store and get a $100 dress for $20 or something! But it seems I clip coupons, stick them on the fridge and then forget about them until they're expired. :-(

Meg Benjamin said...

Hi Beverly, welcome! I'm not much of a couponer, but my hubs is. I let him do the clipping and using.