Monday, September 20, 2010

All about the Hero?

Almost from the beginning of my writing career, I've found it a little easier to write from the hero's point of view. Which is strange since you'd think it would be easier to write from the heroine's point of view being that I'm also a woman. Or maybe that's the problem. Maybe part of my brain gets too hung up on making sure my heroine is her own person and not some fantasy extension of myself.

I think in some ways writing women is harder, for me anyway, because I tend to write a lot of kick-ass heroines. Most of them are strong and self-reliant and don't need to depend on the hero when it comes to a physical threat. But it can be challenging writing those kinds of heroines without having them cross the line from tough and street-smart to cold and bitchy. An unforgiving hero often feels like an easier obstacle to overcome when it comes to redeeming a character.

Writing the hero seems to be easier for me, too, since it's usually the hero I remember best from the majority of books I've read. Except in the case of urban fantasy or other heroine-centered series, the hero just stays with me longer.

I know the men from Tara Janzen's Crazy series have stayed with me for a long time. Mmmm Hawkins and Kidd.

What about you guys? If you're a writer, do you find it easier to write the hero or the heroine? And when it comes to reading, do you find it's usually the hero or the heroine that's most memorable long after you've finished a book? Who have been the most memorable heroes and heroines for you?

6 comments:

Leah Braemel said...

*waves both hands in the air* me! I find writing the hero much easier. Like you, there's such a fine line with heroines between kick-ass/smart-mouthed and bitchy. (Maybe we judge women harsher than we judge men?) And as a reader, I tend to remember books by the heroes, not the heroines.

Cara Bristol said...

As a reader, I remember the heroes, but as an author I find writing the heroines easier. Perhaps because I am a woman, it's easiesr for me to get into the head of the female character.

Erin Nicholas said...

Wow, what an interesting question, Syd. For me I think it depends on the book-- as a reader and writer. Some characters are just easier to relate to or more memorable for different reasons. I would say in the books I have out, though, for the most part the heroines were easier for me to write BUT, my heroes almost always come to me first when I have a new story idea. Weird :)
Erin

Debra St. John said...

I tend to be able to write the heroes better than the heroines in my own writing. I always feel I know them better right off the bat. It always takes me a while to get to know my heroine.

kelly said...

OMG I LOVE Tara Janzen`s heroes! But I think she must create great characters overall because Skeeter Bang sure sticks in my mind!

I'm one of the ones who finds it easier to write in hero's POV - and I don't know why 'cause I am girly girl! Really interesting question!

hotcha12 said...

AS LONG AS HE'S REALLY TALL HUNK HE CAN WORK IT FOR ME!!