Monday, March 22, 2010

Must Love John

Last night I was planning to write about being afraid that I've forgotten how to write, but when I got channel surfing and ended up watching Grosse Pointe Blank, I was reminded of my hardcore LOVE of John Cusack. He's one of those actors that often comes across the same in most of his movies, but I think it's because he's so natural and boy-next-door or something that makes it work so well for him.

So feeling a wee bit more inspired by John, I decided to share some of my favorite John Cusack movies instead. :)

Grosse Pointe Blank is one of my favorite movies of his. Love the hitman humor and dealing with a pending high school reunion.

Favorite quotes:

[Talking to his psychiatrist about going to his high school reunion]
Marty: They all have husbands and wives and children and houses and dogs, and, you know, they've all made themselves a part of something and they can talk about what they do. What am I gonna say? "I killed the president of Paraguay with a fork. How've you been?"

And

Debi: You're a psychopath.
Marty: No, no. Psychopaths kill for no reason. I kill for *money*. It's a *job*. That didn't come out right.

Must Love Dogs was just an all around cute movie, and while there wasn't quite enough John in it, I loved watching him spend a lot of time saying the wrong thing in this movie.

Favorite quotes:

[Jake and Sarah are trying to buy some condoms because neither of them had any; Jake returns from a store to the car]
Jake: They're out!
Sarah: How can they be out?
Jake: I have a theory about this. Everyone in the city is having sex at the exact same time... except for us. But we will press on.

And

Jake: She did not see my A game!
Charlie: Sounds like she didn't see your B or C game either.

Serendipity is another favorite, and since you come across a lot of stories in romance where love is fated or destined, I think that was one of the things that really appealed to me in this movie.

Favorite quote:

Jonathan: So are you gonna meet your boyfriend now or what?
Sara: No, I think he's out probably doing what you're doing.
Jonathan: Getting a crush on somebody else's girlfriend? No, I'm sorry, I just meant I had a really nice time. You know, maybe you should give me your phone number. Just in case.
Sara: In case of what?
Jonathan: In case of life. I just had a really great time and for all we know I wouldn't be able to find you again.
Sara: Well, if we're meant to meet again, we'll meet again. it's just not the right time now.
Jonathan: Maybe we're supposed to meet on British time and we're five hours too early.

1408 Creepy. Creepy. Creepy. Not only is Stephen King a master horror storyteller, but watching John Cusack's character, a writer who specializes in disproving paranormal phenomena, get the crap scared out of him was just...creepy.

Favorite Quotes:

Gerald Olin: You do drink don't you?
Mike Enslin: Of course. I just said I was a writer.

And

Mike Enslin: [after the toilet paper has been turned down, and the chocolates appear] Finally! Something to for me to write about! A ghost that offers turn down service!

Con Air is another movie he only had a secondary role in, but if I was a wrongly convicted felon on a plane that's been taken over by seriously deranged criminals, then I'd want John (or US Marshall Vince Larkin) on my side. Plus this movie was just all kinds of fun.

Favorite quotes:

Vince Larkin: You with me, or do you need me to draw it in crayon, like usual?

And

Vince Larkin: [to Sims] We pick up Mr. Cindino in Carson City. From then until the plane hits Alabama, we've got two hours to get him to talk. We got you a seat right next to him, and he's known to be somewhat garrulous in the company of thieves.
Duncan Malloy: Garrulous? What the fuck is garrulous?
Vince Larkin: That would be loquacious, verbose, effusive. How about "chatty"?
Duncan Malloy: [to Devers] What's with Dictionary Boy?
Vince Larkin: "Thesaurus Boy", I think, is more appropriate.

So what's your favorite John Cusack movie? Any favorite quotes?

6 comments:

kelly said...

I loved all those quotes even though most of the movies I haven't seen (not a big movie watcher).I see why he's one of your favs!

Skylar Kade said...

Love John Cusack! Grosse Pointe Blank is one of my favorite movies. "If you love something, let it go. When it returns, its... broken."

Natasha A. said...

I really enjoy John! I actually think he made 2010 a good movie!

However.... Have you heard of Hot Tub Time Machine???????

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1231587/

Meg Benjamin said...

Another great thing about Grosse Point Blank is the music--all eighties nostalgia. Cusack was involved in creating the score (he was a producer), and it's just perfect. And oh my, how could you forget Say Anything?

Erin Nicholas said...

John Cusack. How about Pushing Tin? (Can't do this as good as Syd but... [talking to Billy Bob Thorton's character "You're going down in flames!", turns to microphone where he talks to the planes "that was not to you! I repeat, not to you!"] And Serendipity is just one of those movies you have to see more than once. Also enjoyed him at the voice of Dimitri in Anastasia! :)

Another John fan,
Erin

Willa Edwards said...

I love Say Anything. So deeply romantic, touching and shows one of those times when you think your life is all planned out, you know what's going to happen, and then something dramatically changes and shifts it off course. And John does some of that awkward babbling he always does, and is adorable. Definitely worth the rent.

I also like A Sure Thing, which also has a pre-desperate housewives Nicollette Shiriden (pretty sure I didn't spell that right, sorry).