Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Halloween Madness

This weekend, we went to Costco for a little light shopping. (Ha! I don't think that's even possible.) We were halfway to the checkout when I grabbed my husband's arm and said, "We have to get candy."

I then proceeded to pile four huge bags of Halloween candy into the cart. He looked at me strangely and said, "Are you sure we need that much?"

I smiled fondly and replied, "Honey, according to the neighbors, this is the low end of what we'll need. If we run out, we just have to turn off the lights and pretend we're not home."

Yes. Once again, we've moved into Halloween Central.

Our last house was also in a destination trick or treat neighborhood. As the only flat, in-town neighborhood with sidewalks and street lights, we found ourselves overrun with minivans each Halloween. They'd drive down the street, pull over, and discharge so many kids we started wondering if they were descended from clown cars.

The first Halloween we lived there, we ran out of candy halfway through the evening, and I sent the DH running to the grocery store to grab whatever was left. In the meantime, I was begging candy from our kids to hand out while we waited for his return. We learned very quickly that we could expect 300-400 kids each Halloween.

Our new neighborhood? Double that.

Not only is trick or treating a big deal here, so is decorating for Halloween. The neighbors are already breaking out the tombstones and pumpkins; word is that some families build their own haunted houses in the driveways.

I have to admit, we're not exactly prepared.

But even though it may end up being a bit overwhelming, I'm looking forward to the experience. Lots of kids, lots of families, a chance to be part of something on a neighborhood scale - I can't wait. Apparently the homeowner's association even collects donations for the food bank from the families that drive in to take advantage of the wide, well-lit streets.

So it's all good. Except for the still-sealed bags of Halloween candy in the cabinet. If they make it to the 31st without tempting me to open them, it'll be a miracle.

1 comment:

Selena Robins said...

I'm not a huge Halloween fan, never been, but I am a fan of chocolate. :)

Great idea about taking advantage of the well-lit streets! Have fun.