Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Guest Blogger Tilly Greene - Shifting Preferences

Reading is a joy - I love wherever the adventure takes me and as a writer, I hope to do just that for a reader who picks up one of my books. I read a variety of genres, as well as an occasional non-fiction, although romances are my comfort reads. When shape shifters pushed forward into the erotic realm, I was thoroughly entertained both reading and eventually writing them, but something I discovered as a reader helped shape what I wrote.

What I found in many books was that when let’s say a pack of werewolves gathered in a clearing, ready to change, as in mythology and fairytales, romances followed the poof and characters shift with little fanfare from human to animal. There was no bone cracking, popping or snapping, although there were plenty of muscles bulging and sweat glistening on straining flesh. Oh yes, very hot, but when I read those first-to-me shifters, I wanted it all. I’d signed up for the full ride albeit without being grossed out and that is what I keep in mind when writing a shape shifter romance.

Actually, how I handle shifting differs from book to series. In my Mythological Messes Redux series, there is no shifting except for emotional growth. They are what they are - Cyclopes, Ipotane, Castor and Pollux or Hephaestus. Highland Heat is a different shifter tale altogether, not involving a traditional full body shift, but I do reveal some of his physical change without making it too horrific. The Come series, Come Back being the first book and my most recent release, is a full body shifter and the reader is with the heroine when she sees the change happen for the first time - here’s a small excerpt:

The first thing she tuned into was the sort of sharp cracking noises. It was like twigs were being snapped and broken, non-stop. She looked around and couldn’t see anyone except for Mikhail, and he personified pure horror. Speechless, Cassie couldn’t understand what was happening before all his clothes were shredded from his contorted body.
© Tilly Greene, 2012

As I see it, the reader is there for the road to happiness, bumps and all, and knowing the characters involved also means reading the good, bad and different along with a good dose of spicy sex.

With all that said, it’s your turn. No way is wrong, it’s all personal preference, but how do you like your shifters to switch bodies? Blood and pain, popping and twisting, or voila, they’ve changed? One random commenter will win an eBook of mine - your choice!

Thank you Nine Naughty Novelists for letting me visit with your wonderful readers!

Tilly Greene was born into the easy folds of a sleepy beach town and embraces the laid-back mindset she grew up with. Later, she settled into a polar opposite lifestyle from the one she’d been living by moving abroad to further her education. While traveling with her husband, she researches and writes erotica and erotic romance novels in a variety of genres and sub-genres. Every day she looks forward to writing about women who are independent and confident, the men who love them, and their twisting passionate path to each other.

Recent Shape Shifter Erotic Romance Release

Come Back

Recent BDSM Erotic Romance Releases

Good, Bad and Kinky

Missing in Paradise

Tilly Greene
Scorching romances full of twists, turns and ties.
www.tillygreene.com

6 comments:

Jenna said...

I do prefer the horror style of shifting. if it is not a shift brought on by magic, where a person flows from one form to the other, then it should be gritty and real and crunchy and poppy and excruciating. there has to be a cost to be a shifter, or else it isn't a burden, if that makes any sense.

Tilly Greene said...

It does make sense, Jenna, and I agree, the cost should be steep. That's a line each author must choose where it is...my line is defined, I think, by duration of the popping factor. Usually a person shift because they have things to do where time is of the essence, not merely a cocktail party to attend :-)

PG Forte said...

Hi, Tilly. Thanks for visiting with us today. Interesting post. :)

I love shifters but, for me, rather than coming with a high price, I think the ability to shift shape should carry an evolutionary advantage. Which suggests that the shifting process shouldn't be too unduly burdensome or painful.

kelly said...

Welcome to the Naughty Nine, Tilly! I have to admit shifters aren't really my thing, though I've read a few shifter stories. Some of them do make it sound very painful! So I guess my preference is for - voila!

Tilly Greene said...

Hiya PG and Kelly! Thank you so much for hosting me today, it a question that has plauged me for a while now and I love hearing different perspectives.

As long as there's something out there for everyone, whatever their preferences in the shifting moment may be, I'm happy :-)

Tilly Greene said...

Hiya Jenna! Just sent you an email as the winner of an ebook of choice from my backlist...congrats darlin'!

And to the lovely Nine Naughty Novelists, thank you for hosting me yesterday...it was good fun hearing the various shifting preferences out there :-)

Take care

Tilly