These are the books that started it all! Here are the first romance novels we read, quite possibly the reasons we're writing romance today!
1. Dream Man by Linda Howard (Meg Benjamin): I could go into all the aspects of my Linda Howard obsession, but this is how it started.
2. One of many doctor/nurse Harlequins by Betty Neal (Kelly Jamieson)
3. Separate Beds by LaVyrle Spencer (Erin Nicholas)
4. These Old Shades by Georgette Heyer (PG Forte)
5. Faro's Daughter by Georgette Heyer (Juniper Bell)
6. The Flame and the Flower by Kathleen Woodiwiss (Kinsey Holley): I read this in 6th grade. And
more Woodiwiss through middle/high school.
7. Perfect by Judith McNaught (Sydney Somers)
8. Night Magic by Karen Robards (Sydnes Somers)
9. Aftershocks by Cathrine Coulter (Skylar Kade): "Borrowed" off my aunt's shelf--I still have it!
10. Pride of the Peacock by Victoria Holt (PG Forte)
11. So Speaks the Heart by Johanna Lindsey (Erin Nicholas)
12. After the Night by Linda Howard (Meg Benjamin)
13. Shanna by Kathleen Woodiwiss (Kelly Jamieson)
BONUS: With a story!
Brockmann in 2001 (Kate Davies): I saw that she had two books on the Top Ten Romances
list put out by RWA that year, and was outraged at what I saw as
ballot-stuffing by fans. So I read both of them to prove they didn't
deserve to be on the list - and was totally schooled. They were both
fantastic. (That also convinced me to give the genre another try, and
the rest is history.)