Wednesday, July 11, 2012

I've Never Been To Comic-Con, But...

A few weeks ago I went to San Diego for an educational conference. As luck would have it, the conference was held at the same convention center which would host the granddaddy of all pop culture conventions this weekend, San Diego Comic-Con.

It wasn't Comic-Con, but I did get my picture taken with a Jedi...

Now, I've been to a few science fiction/fantasy conventions, but have never had the opportunity to go to Comic-Con. Sadly, that's still the case. My co-workers and I couldn't figure out a reasonable excuse for staying in town once the conference was over. And the district wasn't willing to pay for an extended visit, either. Sigh.

But I did learn a few things while in town that may be helpful for people who actually ARE going to Comic-Con this weekend, especially if it's for the first time.

1. The convention hall is COLD. I don't care how warm it is outside, you'll want to bring a sweater or jacket.

You could also take a break in the sunshine - there's plenty of space to hang out outside the center.

2. There's lots to do in San Diego outside of the actual convention. Get outside! Enjoy the town!   

Party at the "Float", Sunday afternoon at the Hard Rock Hotel.
Or walk the waterfront any day of the week!

3. Don't try to get to everything on your list. Any convention in a big space like that can be overwhelming, with multiple sessions occurring at the same time. And sometimes the events you want to attend are full before you can get from one end of the convention hall to the other.

Cut yourself some slack. Do what you can, have a back up plan if your first choice is unavailable, and be sure to have fun!

Halls that will be filled with fans tomorrow!

So if you're going, be sure to say hi to Nathan Fillion. And Wil Wheaton. And...

Dang, do you think I could convince the district to send me down there tomorrow? I think I forgot a pen in one of the meeting rooms...

2 comments:

Maia Strong said...

Ah, Comic-Con! I have friends who go yearly. (Of course, they live in SD, so it's not quite the expense or the commute I would have.) Part of me would love to go and experience it once. Once. It's rather how I feel about DragonCon. I *really* want to go...ONCE. But it all takes more planning and more money than I can manage at the moment. But someday...someday...

Kinsey Holley said...

My non-romance reading SIL is a huge SF/comic geek (as am I). She longs to attend Comic Con someday and I'd like to go with her. I'll have to write some more books though, because trying to do two conventions in one year would require justification to the Hub.

I think I might be dragging Vickie the Blunt (the romance reading/beta reading SIL) to Kansas City next year.