Monday, October 3, 2011

Congestion

I hab a code.

A nasty, stuffy-nosed, head-packed-with-cotton, box of Kleenex a day cold. I seem to get one every year about this time, probably since the whole family is back to school and bringing home germs like they're going out of style.

I can't sit around nursing my poor cold, though, with soccer season in full swing. So I'm shuttling kids hither and yon (especially yon) and cheering myself hoarse on the sidelines for hours at a time. And in between there's laundry to do, meals to prepare, carpets to vacuum, bills to pay. All I *really* want to do is flop down on the couch with a blanket and a mug of tea, watching mindless tv shows and reading my new library downloads on my nook. But moms aren't allowed to take sick days, are they? ;)

And even worse, not only is my head congested, but my writing is, too. I've been stuck for a while, and it stinks. Not being able to get the words on paper? As irritating as my scratchy throat and achy head.

Luckily, like the cold, the block on my writing will go away in time as well. In fact, I started a new story yesterday that I have high hopes for. So fingers crossed that my writing congestion is on the mend!

*what do you do when a cold - or other congestion - gets you down?

3 comments:

June M. said...

I am so sorry to hear you are sick. Every year about this time? Could it be allergies causing it? I have bad allergies so I was just wondering. Something that seems to help me is hot, steamy showers. All that steam seems to loosen the congestion. Also, I once had a doctor that would "prescribe" chocolate to me when I was sick. I would get respiratory infections (generally from allergies) and when he would write me scripts for antibiotics and cough syrups etc, he would tell me to pick up some Hershey kisses too, that the chocolate would help break up the congestion.

I hope you feel better soon and that your block goes away so you can finish the first story!

Juniper Bell said...

Wow, June, I want your doctor! ;-) Kate, sweetie, so sorry you're sick. When I'm congested I take eucalyptus steams. Put a few drops of eucalyptus oil in some hot water, put a towel over your head and breathe in the steam. Gypsy Cold Care tea is rumored to help too. And lots of vitamin C. I hope you feel better soon and I can't wait to hear about your new work in progress!

Kate Davies said...

Ooh, great tips, thanks ladies! It could be allergies, I suppose, but I always think of it as the "teacher cold" - getting sick after being away from the classroom because of all the new germs running around. :) Probably should look into it, though!

And yes, I need to get cracking on that WIP so I can send it out into the world. :)