Friday, January 3, 2014

Let's Hear it for New Year's Resolutions!

Every year I spend part of New Year's Eve writing up a list of what I want to accomplish in the new year--resolutions, if you will. At midnight (give or take a few minutes) I burn the list, then go outside and scatter the ashes to the wind. When we lived across the street from a creek, I sometimes mixed it up and scattered the ashes into the stream. Every year, it's the same routine. And, every year, I start off January feeling pretty optimistic about achieving my goals.

But, here's the thing. The list is pretty much the same each year and, as you've probably already deduced, my resolutions tend to get side-tracked within the first few months. Doesn't matter though. I still believe in the process and, come next December 31st, I know I'll likely be performing the same ritual all over again.

See, what's most important to me is setting an intention. Maybe it's because I like to plot and plan anyway, but it seems to me that making that plan is the necessary first step to accomplishing anything. If you don't start out with a goal, not only are you far less likely to achieve it, but you're also less likely to achieve anything at all. 

It's like with travel. I have no problem at all with  veering from an established plan and heading off on a spontaneous adventure--that's where a lot of the fun happens. Once you're on the road, it doesn't matter if you change your destination, but if you don't start with a destination in mind...well, too often you never start at all.

So, here's my number one resolution for this year: I resolve to get out there and make 2014 my best year ever...until next year rolls around.

1 comment:

Erin Nicholas said...

This :)

"I resolve to get out there and make 2014 my best year ever...until next year rolls around."