Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Guest Blogger Cathryn Fox - Beautiful Nova Scotia


I’d just finished visiting the quaint town of Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, a place where many Stephen King movies were shot, including Deloris Claiborne, and where the television series Haven is filmed. Later that day I was chatting on line with the talented and very sweet Nikki Duncan. Before we knew it we were talking about doing an anthology together. We knew we wanted a third author, and both instantly agreed that we’d love to have our very good friend, Mackenzie McKade – another one of the wicked writers from our chat loop – on board.
Much to our delight Mac agreed and we set a time for brainstorming. We all agreed to do a reunion story with overlapping characters. This was fun, but challenging to keep time lines and characters consistent. Next came location and I couldn’t think of a better one than a small coastal fishing village that I’d just visited. I shared my Lunenburg pictures and we all agreed to model our fictitious American town after this quaint little fishing village in Nova Scotia. Here are some pictures to give you a feel for our town and characters.
Enjoy!
BIO
A multi published author in the romance genre, Cathryn is a wife, mom, sister, daughter, and friend. She loves dogs, sunny weather, anything chocolate (she never says no to a brownie) pizza and red wine. She has two teenagers who keep her busy with their never ending activities, and a husband who is convinced he can turn her into a mixed martial arts fan. Cathryn can never find balance in her life, is always trying to find time to go to the gym, can never keep up with emails, Facebook or Twitter and tries to write page-turning books that her readers will love. A maritime native and former financial officer, Cathryn has lived all over Canada but has finally settled down in her childhood hometown with her family.
Cathryn also cowrites Paranromal Romance for TOR under the pen name Taylor Keating
To chat with Cathryn you can join her wicked writers chat loop. www.wickedwriters.com
Wet in Whispering Cove Amazon

Wild in Whispering Cove Amazon

Wicked in Whispering Cove Amazon


This is the house where one of Stephen King’s movies was shot.















Beautiful city street below, with bright colored houses.

Here is an aerial view of the ocean. Note the red buildings. Years ago all the buildings were painted red to help the fishermen find their way home.

I love this picture of the wharf and ocean.

I had to add this one with the Lobster! I picture the Seafarer, the lobster house in our stories, having a sign just like this.

Here are a few of the locals. Well…not really. My son on left and daughter on right, just hanging out with one of the fishermen.


This is a store today, but note the top window. A lookout over the ocean to watch the fishermen come home.



St. John’s Anglican Church. The first settlers of the area erected this small church in 1754. It is the oldest church in Lunenburg and the second-oldest non-Roman Catholic church in British North America.


12 comments:

Kinsey Holley said...

What a beautiful little town! I have to see Canada someday. I want to take the train across it.

Unknown said...

Lunenburg is one of those places that makes you feel like you've stepped back in time. And maybe a few ghosts of fishermen lost at sea still linger in the streets.

Cathryn Fox said...

Kinsey, you absolutely have to visit. It's beautiful

Anne, Lunenburg is my favorite spot in Nova Scotia.

Nikki Duncan said...

I want to come see where we spent so much time.

SusanR said...

What beautiful pictures! Looks like a relaxing place to visit! And I LOVED this book series! It was fun to see actual pictures of where it was set.

mamasand2 said...

Cathryn, I got all three of these books when they came out and absolutely loved them. They will be read again soon.

You make Novia Scotia sound really interesting. I would love to see it some day.

Sandie

Cathryn Fox said...

Mamasand, thank you so much for picking up the series. We loved writing these stories! Nova Scotia is beautiful. You should definitley see it!

Cathryn Fox said...

Susan so glad you loved the series. Yes, it really is fun to see what inspired the books!

its me said...

Cathryn, no one, and I mean NO ONE, writes wicked hot firemen like you!! YUMMY *drool* I LOVE all your books, this series is fantastic, k now I will stop with the fangirl squee-ing. Thanks for posting!!

Pauline Allan said...

Absolutely beautiful pictures! I love the houses. Makes me want to write a gothic love story, full of tragedy and romance.

Cathryn Fox said...

LOL Bonnie, thank you soooo much! You gave me a huge smile!

Pauline, the houses are great aren't they. Last time I was there I did a carriage ride and I loved learning the history.

Bev Pettersen said...

Thanks for sharing those pictures, Cathryn. A very inspiring setting, everything is gorgeous.