Monday, April 11, 2011
We're back! RT 2011 was awesome-- full of funny moments, memorable moments, OMG moments (good and bad) and lots of laughter! (and wine, but that's another story... or is it??)
I got home two hours ago and knew I had to get this blog post done before I fall asleep but thankfully, I already knew what I was going to post (and I ran it by the six girls featured so it's okay :))
A couple of weeks ago, Kinsey posted about what she thought we would all be like in person based on the relationship we've established over a year and a half online. Keep in mind that we "talk" every day online. We've been through ups and downs with our writing, we talk about our kids and families, we talk about things that piss us off, thrill us, make us cry, make us laugh. We've gotten to know each other pretty well.
So we all had an idea of what we thought the others would be like and we had high hopes for a great conference together. And then we all got a few butterflies thinking about meeting for the first time. What if they're not what I think? What if we don't get along as well as we think we do? What if this totally sucks and ruins everything???? (okay, maybe that's a bit dramatic...)
Well, I thought the perfect follow up after RT (and given the "what happens at RT stays at RT" rule that was instituted) was to post what we all were really like after all! :) Everyone was pretty much what I expected them to be, but each of them surprised me in at least one way.
The Naughty Nine (minus 2 :)) According to Erin:
1. Skylar is adorable. I knew she would be. She's perky and fun and sweet, bending over backwards to help us all out. But she can also crack the whip. She kept us organized, told us where to go and when and made sure everyone was accounted for all the time. (thank goodness) She was also one of the few able to find her way around the most amazingly confusing what-were-they-drinking-when-they-designed-this hotel I've ever been in!
2. Kinsey is definitely fun. She says what she thinks and I've always loved that about her. But she's a little... flakier... than I expected :) Things got lost, then found, then something else got lost, then Kinsey got lost... but it actually just adds to her charm!
3. Juniper is laid back and easy to be around as expected. There's no pressure with Juniper, she just accepts you as you are. But she's quieter than I thought she would be. Of course, with this group it's damned hard to get a word in edge-wise!
4. Kelly is sweet and funny as I knew she would be and she's totally put together. She warned me that she'd be high maintenance so I had visions of hours in the bathroom, but the truth is, she's got this easy glamour thing going. Like it's simply natural to look great. All the time. And yeah, I like her anyway...
5. Meg is no-nonsense (in the spirit of full disclosure, I'd already met Meg so knew this) But she can also swear like a sailor at a truck stop. (Kinsey is more surprised by my potty mouth than Meg's, but I still get a kick out of hearing Meg swear, esp about people she doesn't like much. Or at all.)
6. PG is fun. She loves to laugh and has a great sense of humor. Again, totally expected. What I didn't expect was that she really does have a limit :) There really is a no-more-nice-PG line that can be crossed. It's hard to get there but when you do... well, anyway.
As for me--well, I'm exactly as they all expected me to be. Very cool, incredibly funny, inspiring to all around me and I look really good in a tiara.
So there you go. Now you know! I wish I had some pictures to share... we didn't take any really nice, dressed up, all together pictures-- which stinks (Skylar, wasn't this *your* job?). But I think the others have some pix you'll probably get to see at some point.
And be sure to check back with us. We got all kinds of STUFF-- swag and books and bags and well, stuff, to share so we'll be having some giveaways. And I'm sure the other six will have some memories to share as well!
Okay, my pillow-- my OWN pillow-- is calling me! 'Night! Thanks for a fantastic five days!
Posted by Erin Nicholas at 2:00 AM